Published: May 04, 2021 1:36 PM |
Last updated: May 04, 2021 4:13 pm
| A A A-
Kolkata Knight Riders’ Pat Cummins congratulates the Chennai Super Kings players after their final win in an IPL 2021 game in Mumbai. (Photo | Twitter / @ KKRiders)
NEW DELHI: The Indian Premier League was suspended indefinitely on Tuesday after multiple COVID-19 cases were reported in its bio-bubble.
This is happening just over a week after The New Indian Express stopped reporting on the IPL to make sure the focus was on the ongoing pandemic and brutal second wave.
India is in the worst stages of Covid- Pandemic. Hundreds of thousands of people struggle, many in vain, to exercise their right to life as a dilapidated universal health system proves it has no answers to the challenges of a creepy insect. The daily bulletins from the Ministry of Health about new positive cases and deaths have hit the stratosphere, as have SOS messages from individuals and hospitals refilling oxygen and looking for life-saving medication.
Hospitals are refusing new admissions for lack of Covid beds. The rush to crematoria is heartbreaking. Most of us already have friends or relatives who succumbed to Covid-19 or are fighting for their lives.
At such a tragic time, we find it inappropriate that the cricket festival is taking place in India and layers of bio-bubbles Create protection.
This is commerce that has gotten ridiculous. The problem is not in the game, but in the timing. Cricket too has to accept that we are in an unprecedented crisis. In these circumstances, The Sunday Standard and The Morning Standard will suspend IPL coverage in the newspaper with immediate effect until a semblance of normalcy is restored.
This is a small gesture to draw the nation’s attention to issues of life and direct death.
We are sure our readers will see the point. These are times when we as a nation must stand with determination.
« The tournament has been suspended indefinitely. We will try to run the event in the next available window, but this month is unlikely, » he said League chairman Brijesh Patel told PTI Cricket in India (BCCI) unanimously in an emergency meeting to postpone the IPL 2021 season with immediate effect, « the statement said.
» The BCCI does not want to compromise go into the safety of players, support staff and other participants involved in organizing the IPL. This decision was made with the safety, health and wellbeing of everyone involved in mind, « she added.
The IPL said that BCCI will do everything possible to ensure that players at the event return to their homes safely. » / p> « These are difficult times, especially in India, and while we have tried to bring something positive and cheer, it is imperative that the tournament be suspended now and that everyone return to their families and loved ones during these difficult times « said the IPL stated.
» The BCCI will do everything in its power to ensure the safe passage of all participants in IPL 2021. «
The development was PTI from a source on the SRH team confirmed, who also said the entire squad was exposed to the sun.
« He had a fever and had been isolated for five days. We are also asked to stay in the room, « the source said.
This came after the IPL game between Chennai Super Kings and Rajasthan Royals was postponed on Wednesday after CSK bowling coach L Balaji tested positive for the virus On Monday, the match between Kolkata Knight Riders and Royal Challengers Bangalore was also canceled after KKR bowlers Sandeep Warrier and Varun Chakravarthy tested positive for the infection.
According to the Standard Operating Procedure ( SOP) of the board, anyone who has come into contact with an infected person must be under tough quarantine for six days, returning three negative RT-PCR reports.
« Tomorrow’s game at Arun Jaitley Stadium between CSK and RR is postponed according to SOP rules. Since Balaji was in contact with the players, everyone got into a tough quarantine. They should be tested every day, « a senior BCCI official told PTI under conditions of anonymity.
When CSK CEO Kasi Viswanathan was contacted, he said the team had informed the BCCI of Balaji’s RT-PCR result .
« From the start we announced that Mr. Balaji tested positive and our players were isolated under the SOP, » said Viswanathan.
This is the second IPL game to be postponed after the game Kolkata Knight Riders versus Royal Challengers Bangalore on Monday was postponed due to some KKR players, Varun Chakravarthy and Sandeep Warrier.
The game remains on schedule for the time being but there is palpable concern as the Mumbai Indians won’t play until Saturday CSK and Balaji came into contact with MI players during the game.
Many in the BCCI think it advisable to postpone the game this evening.
« Even MI players are at risk, Having played CSK. BCCI should ideally postpone today’s game as well. Usually, symptoms mostly show up on the 6th or 7th day after you come into contact with the infected person, « said the BCCI source.
Speculation about a possible relocation to Mumbai for the remainder of the tournament is also widespread, but some logistical concerns stand in the way.
« What are you doing for seven days of tough quarantine for multiple hotel employees since you would need at least four hotels to create a new bio-bubble, » the official said.
If the tournament is moved to Mumbai, Kolkata and Bengaluru would miss their odds.
Another view is to keep the games in the locations they are currently using – Delhi and Ahmedabad.
« If You see when Mumbai and Chennai games were played, things were under control. The problems started after the teams had traveled from one city to another, « said a franchise representative.
There was also concern in Delhi as some groundsmen at Feroz Shah Kotla Stadium tested positive despite DDCA Chief Rohan Jaitley claimed that « none of the groundsmen on duty » was among the infected.
Just days earlier, three Australian players had withdrawn from the league, citing COVID-19 concerns in a devastating second wave of the global pandemic which has overwhelmed the country’s medical infrastructure.
The 2020 IPL was also held in a bio-safe bubble in the United Arab Emirates, and at that point, infections were only reported before the tournament started.
Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we must be reasonable while moderating your comments. All comments are moderated by the editorial newindianexpress.com Be careful not to post obscene, defamatory, or inflammatory comments and do not indulge in personal attacks. Avoid external hyperlinks within the comment. Help us delete comments that do not comply with these guidelines.
The views expressed in comments posted on newindianexpress.com are those of the commenters alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its employees, nor do they represent the views or opinions of the New Indian Express Group or any of the New Indian Express Group companies or any of their affiliates. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to note some or all of the comments at any time.
No Indian COVID-19 variant found in South Africa yet: NICD positive after travel test
Elgar case: HC notification to the NIA on tribal rights activist Stan Swamy’s medical bail
The Morning Standard | Dinamani | Kannada Prabha | Samakalika Malayalam | Pampering | Edex Live | Cinema Express | Event Xpress
Home | Nation | World | Cities | Business | Columns | Entertainment | Sport | Magazine | The Sunday standard
Donnez votre point de vue et aboonez-vous!
Votre point de vue compte, donnez votre avis