The disgraced former Argentine skipper Pablo Matera will forever have to live with his « horrific » language, says Will Greenwood, encouraging the Puma to stand up for diversity and equality now.
On Tuesday, the Argentine Rugby Union (UAR) confirmed that Matera had been freed by the Argentine captain and suspended along with teammates Guido Petti and Santiago Socino for posting racist and xenophobic comments on social media between 2011 and 2013.
The scandal plunged the Argentine camp into a crisis days before the last Tri-Nations game against Australia on Saturday in Sydney.
Former English and British and Irish Lions center Greenwood wasted Matera’s achievements for the Pumas last month after the back row led his team to their historic 25:15 win over the All Blacks in Sydney.
However, Greenwood was quick to condemn Matera’s historic tweets on Tuesday after a string of racist, derogatory and xenophobic posts came to light, while also questioning how Matera became captain in the first place.
« I have the team sheet in front of me, he was 27 on the weekend, which means he was 19 when these tweets went out, fully conscious and grown up.
« Part of me says, Well done Argentina Rugby, because I took off the captain straight away. The other part of me is, how did Pablo Matera ever have Skipper against his name and record?
When Sky Sports Rugby’s Rupert Cox suggested that a player who had been reprimanded internally for racist social media posts – as Matera reportedly in 2013 – could never become captain of England, Greenwood agreed.
« No [it wouldn’t happen to England], it would be a long rehab trip to be fully back on the team whether or not you were captain’s ambassador, » said Greenwood.
« You can walk around the houses whatever you want, but it’s just incredulous language that you can use any century no matter what’s going on now.
« It is one of those who, as the quote says, you cannot communicate with yourself from a situation in which you behaved.
« He’s got himself to a really low point there, and only when transplant and application, words, work, regrets, remorse and actually get out there and make a difference can he find a path to full reintegration at the highest level.
« He will play for Argentina again, there is no question about that. He will be on a rugby field again, but those words will be ad infinitum part of his fabric and his story. «
On Tuesday, the UAR announced that its board had met urgently between 2011 and 2013 after the « discriminatory » positions of the players were revealed.
« The Argentine Rugby Union strongly opposes the discriminatory and xenophobic comments made by members of the Los Pumas team on social networks, » the UAR said in a statement.
« Although the messages were expressed between 2011 and 2013, the Argentine Rugby Union condemns all expressions of hatred and we consider it unacceptable that those who express them should represent our country. «
The UAR said it has asked Pumas employees to propose a new captain to the board and have the players step down pending « disciplinary proceedings ». .
The players’ social media accounts were closed on Tuesday, but screenshots of previous posts that demeaned blacks and people from other South American countries were rife.
« I am very ashamed, » said Matera. « Sorry to everyone who was offended by the barbarity I wrote. At that time, I never imagined who I would become. Today I must own what I said nine years ago.
« I also apologize to my family and team for what they are going through as a result of my actions and I thank the people who love me for their support. «
After the 0:38 defeat by New Zealand on Saturday, Matera had already apologized to the fans in a video on the Pumas Twitter account after the players were criticized for not doing enough to the Pay tribute to recently deceased football icon Diego Maradona week.
20. October 2011 – The hatred of Bolivians, Paraguayans, etc.. is born of this maid who once lost a hair in her food. ‘
5. Mar. 2012 – ‘The fat woman stares at me hahaha poor fat woman I am not giving up my place, this is not a pregnancy. that does not count. ‘
24. 04, 2012 – ‘Bolivian carries MP3 with iPod headphones. Enough evidence to lock him up for theft and loss. ‘
© 2020 Sky UK
Argentina national rugby union team, Pablo Matera, Australian national rugby union team, New Zealand national rugby union team
World News – AU – Will Greenwood: Argentina’s Pablo Matera must now champion be for diversity and equality
. . Related title :
– Will Greenwood: Argentina& # 39; s Pablo Matera has to live with his & # 39; appalling & # 39; Words forever
– Argentina’s captain Pablo Matera sacked for racist tweets
– Pumas captain, player suspended for racist posts
– cougars I think Maradona plays behind the storm of racist tweets.
– Pablo Matera is the rugby captain of Argentina& revoked and suspended along with two other players after an old racist . . .
– Matera loses the captain, among 3 players suspended by Pumas
– < a href = "/? s = Argentine rugby star Pablo Matera was suspended after old tweets, saying it was & # 39; nice morning to run over blacks& # 39. nice morning to run over blacks& # 39; show up
– Argentina’s Rugby Union Captain Pablo Matera sacked for & # 39 ; xenophobic, racist& # 39; Tweets
– Pablo Matera: Argentina removed and suspended Captain via & # 39; discriminatory and xenophobic& # 39; Twitter posts
– & # 39; Ashamed& # 39; Pablo Matera was sacked as the Twitter captain of the Argentine & # 39 after Twitter & # 39; atrocities& # 39;
Donnez votre point de vue et aboonez-vous!
Votre point de vue compte, donnez votre avis
[maxbutton id= »1″]